About Chiropractic Care: Is It Right For You?
Chiropractors are medical professionals who work with the musculoskeletal system and therefore its effects on the system, which controls how our bodies work i.e. the nervous system. They are adept at handling dysfunction and pains related to your joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments, and other soft tissues, particularly those related to the spine. Chiropractic treatment is appropriate for trapped nerve, lower back pain, hip, and joint pain, to name some. Chiropractors find the root cause of your pain and treat it using various techniques including spinal manipulation and mobilisation, ergonomic advice, and specific exercises. It is a non-intrusive and drug-free approach to treatment that treats the causes rather than just aiding the symptoms.
Like all specialists, doctors of chiropractic (DC) examine you thoroughly for physical and neurological function and derive a specific diagnosis and therefore the root cause of your issue. This diagnosis is integral to your chiropractic treatment and stands as a guide to determine just what kind of treatment you may need.
If you’ve been wondering what your visit to Amersham Chiropractic Centre would be like, this article will describe the process.
Read on to learn more about the various ways in which chiropractic treatment can help you!
If you’ve found yourself suffering from various aches and pains, such as lower back pain, hip pain, or general issues with your joints, you may be wondering how you can go about treating them. The general question that comes with these aches and pains is, “should I see a chiropractor?” If you’re curious about chiropractic treatment and how a UK chiropractor may be able to help you, this article will run you through everything you need to know about chiropractic care and whether it’s right for you.
Read on to learn more.
Firstly, What Is A Chiropractor?
There’s no use getting into the details about chiropractic care if you’re unsure what a UK chiropractor is and what they do.
Think of a chiropractor as a doctor that cares for all kinds of muscle, joint, or bone pain. Chiropractic is a treatment in which a DC (doctor of chiropractic) will use their hands to help relieve you of pain and problems related to your bones, muscles, and joints. Chiropractic is considered a form of complementary and alternative medicine that goes hand in hand with traditional medical treatments.
Chiropractors are highly skilled when it comes to the human body, and since all parts of your body are connected, chiropractic care serves as a cure-all for many issues. Due to the fact that chiropractic care is all about the correct alignment of the spine, it also affects your nervous system. So, your entire body can be treated through chiropractic care, since your spine and your nervous system are deeply connected to the rest of your body and act as a pathway through which your organs and brain communicate with each other.
What Does A Chiropractor Do?
Now that you know what a chiropractor is, let’s discuss what chiropractors do. It’s pretty easy to understand what chiropractors do. Just think of aches, creaks, strains, and pains. Any of these problems related to the musculoskeletal system, a chiropractor will be able to treat.
Chiropractic is a non-intrusive and drug-free method of alternative treatment. This means that a chiropractor will treat you without using surgical methods or prescribing medications.
Instead of prescribing medicines or surgery, a chiropractor will most likely prescribe (and perform) the following:
- Soft Tissue Therapy:A chiropractor will prescribe / perform soft tissue therapy on you in order to relax tight muscles, release tension in the connective tissue surrounding your muscles (the fascia), and relieve spasms.
- Adjustments:Chiropractors are very famous for their adjustments. The “pop” sound is something that comes to mind often when one thinks about chiropractic care. Adjustments are painless and are a swift way realign joints and increase your range of motion. The sound made during chiropractic adjustments is just gasses leaving the spaces between your joints.
- Exercises and Stretches:UK Chiropractors will most likely prescribe certain stretches and exercises to you, depending on what your issue is. A chiropractor will diagnose the root cause of your pain, then give you a home based exercise regimen to follow. They will first show you each stretch / exercise and make you comfortable with the movements. After which, you can perform them on your own at home. The regimen will be personalised and strictly catered to you.
Chiropractic treatments are generally painless. Most people only feel a short period of “soreness”, like after a workout. But this soreness disappears over time as your body starts to get used to the movements and your muscles begin to adjust accordingly.
Who Can See A Chiropractor For Chiropractic Treatment?
You now know what chiropractors do, and you’ve learnt about chiropractic care and how a DC will go about treating your pain. So, now, you’re probably wondering just who needs to see a chiropractor, and who can get help through chiropractic treatment.
Chiropractors are highly skilled professionals who can treat pain pretty much anywhere in the body. If you have pain in your head, jaws, shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, pelvis, knees, or ankles, a chiropractor will be able to help you. Apart from this, people who complain about back pain and lower back pain would do well by seeing a chiropractor. Chiropractors can treat back pain efficiently and painlessly, and help realign your spine and teach you how to maintain good posture so you never have to complain about back pain ever again.
Chiropractic care is also safe for pregnant women, and can even help make their delivery smoother.
A UK Chiropractor will take a look at your entire musculoskeletal system and identify the root cause of your pain. For example, if you’ve been suffering from lower back pain accompanied by a pain shooting down one of your legs, there may be an underlying problem such as sciatica. A chiropractor will be able to look at your symptoms and correctly diagnose the root cause and treat you accordingly.
Chiropractors don’t just focus on your joints and make sure they are moving properly, they also look at the muscles surrounding your joints and make sure they are functioning well too.
UK Chiropractors can treat people of all ages who complain of all kinds of pain. Of course, treatments will vary from person to person, depending on the patients and the intensity of the pain. Before offering chiropractic treatment, your DC will screen you and make sure that you are a good candidate for it. They will check your medical records to make sure that chiropractic care is safe for you.
For example, there are many older patients that suffer from thinning and softening bones, so a chiropractor will treat them accordingly and will most likely not prescribe joint manipulation for them. In fact, chiropractors are so helpful and care about our well-being so much that if you are not a good candidate for chiropractic care, they will actually guide you and refer you to the right person and resources.
The Benefits of Chiropractic Treatment
There are many benefits that come with chiropractic care. They are listed below:
- Chiropractic care can help ease pain like neck pain, back pain, hip pain, and more
- When you see a chiropractor, they will be able to help you significantly when it comes to the mobility of your joints and their general functioning
- A chiropractor will be able to diagnose underlying issues behind your pain and tell you the root cause. For example, if you suffer from a certain type of lower back pain, you DC will be able to discern whether you have sciatica
- Chiropractic care is extremely affordable and a painless way to treat many chronic and acute pains
- Chiropractic care can help improve your posture, reduce symptoms of scoliosis, and can even reduce osteoarthritis symptoms as well
- If you suffer from migraines and headaches, a UK chiropractor will most likely be able to alleviate your pain and prevent it from coming back too frequently
- Since chiropractic care is a non-intrusive and drug-free form of treatment, some people have actually been able to reduce their reliance on opioids and other pain relievers
- Chiropractic care is ideal for athletes and may even help improve their athletic performance
These are just a few of the many benefits that come with chiropractic treatment. Overall, chiropractic care is perfect for all your aches and pains. It is a drug-free and ideal way to treat them.
When To See A UK Chiropractor
If you find yourself suffering from neck and back pain, or even knee pain and you can’t find the cause of it, you will benefit greatly from seeing a chiropractor. If you suffer from migraines and tension headaches, a chiropractor will be able to help you as well, since spinal misalignment contributes to the occurrence of headaches. Chiropractic adjustments may be right for you if you suffer from frozen shoulder syndrome; it’ll help you regain mobility and significantly reduce your stiffness.
A lot of patients seek help from chiropractic care when they have symptoms of chronic pain, lack of energy, fatigue, muscle aches, numbness, digestive problems, and tingling sensations in their bodies. Many of these problems may be helped by a chiropractor.
When considering seeing a chiropractor for your various aches and pains, always make sure to see a registered chiropractor. You will get the most out of chiropractic care if you are generally healthy and do not have any advanced joint disease. For example, if you have an old sports injury or you suffer from sciatica.
Now that you know more about chiropractic care and if you are eligible for it, you probably want to visit a UK chiropractor as soon as you can. If you are interested in chiropractic treatment, you can book an appointment with Amersham Chiropractic and get the best possible care!