Shoulder and Neck Pain: Common Causes and How to Deal With the Pain
Some of the most common pains people feel are neck pains and shoulder pains. These are closely related to each other since all parts of our bodies are so delicately interlinked with one another. Each part affects the other, and there is a delicate balance that needs to be maintained in order to ensure optimal health.
Though these pains are seemingly unbearable, there are multiple ways to treat them and even prevent them. Sometimes the most complicated problems truly require the simplest solutions. That’s where we come in. At Amersham Chiropractic Clinic, we not only treat your already existing aches and pains, but we educate you on how to prevent these aches and pains from forming at all.
What Is Neck Pain and Shoulder Pain?
Shoulder and Neck Pains are very distinct pains felt in these areas of your body. One can exist without the other, but in many cases, they tend to go hand-in hand. It is very common to see a person suffering from neck pain also suffer from shoulder pain.
Lots of people face neck pains and stiffness from time to time. In most cases, neck pain occurs due to poor posture. It can even be caused by injury from a fall, contact sports, and even whiplash. Just as common is shoulder pain. Shoulders are an extremely underrated part of the body. They are the most mobile joints in the body and consist of a complex structure which allows for a wide and versatile range of motion. It’s no wonder it’s so easy to hurt your shoulders. You can very easily injure your shoulder because of exertion and manual labour, playing sports, and even just through repetitive movement. You can even face shoulder pain because of diseases of the cervical spine (neck), liver, heart, or gallbladder. This is why it’s important to identify these pains and take action accordingly. Most chiropractic clinics will offer an array of solutions for these aches and pains.
What’s Causing The Pain in Your Neck and Shoulders?
- Muscle Tension and Sprain:
One of the most common causes of neck pain, it usually occurs due to activities and behaviours like poor posture, working at a desk for long without changing position, sleeping wrong, or jerking your neck during exercise.
Since the neck is very vulnerable to injury, this is also a very common cause of neck pain. Injuries can happen due to falls, car accidents and sports. Injury can even occur due to whiplash.
- Heart Attack:
Neck pain can also be caused by a heart attack and is one of the symptoms of the same.
The inflammation from Meningitis causes neck pain, and should be immediately attended to as it can be fatal.
- Rotator Cuff Tendinitis:
The most common cause of shoulder pain, marked by swollen tendons.
- Injury of Neck / Back:
Shoulder pain caused by injury to another part of the body is known as referred pain and usually doesn’t get worse with movement.
- Impingement Syndrome:
This type of pain occurs when the rotator cuff of your shoulder gets caught between the Acromium and the Humeral Head.
It is always best to seek medical and chiropractic help when these pains last a long time and are getting increasingly hard to manage.
Home Remedies to Ease Neck and Shoulder Pain
If you find yourself having shoulder and neck pains, there are many simple techniques you can do at home to ease the pain.
- Follow the RICE method: Resting, Icing, and Compressing. You can even Elevate your shoulder if possible.
- Use heating pads or an Epsom salt bath
- Take OTC pain relievers. Even natural pain relievers such as turmeric, willow bark and clove work well, alongside menthol rubs and essential oil blends.
- Massage and acupuncture treatments make a big difference. Visit your local chiropractor for chiropractic adjustments if the pains are persistent.
- Neck and Shoulder stretches and exercises.
- Use good posture.
- Take a rest from strenuous work and sports.
- Make sure to change your position while working often so as to not add strain to your neck and shoulders.
- Use a special neck pillow while sleeping (visit your local chiropractor for the best pillow for neck pain adjusted to your specific needs).
Prevention is Better Than Cure!
Prevention truly is better than cure, especially with shoulder and neck pains. You can make small adjustments to your lifestyle to ensure you don’t have to suffer from these pains in the long run. Aches and pains come with age, but if you use preventive measures from early on, you can avoid excessive pains in the future.
- Maintain good posture and avoid slouching / hunching while sitting, standing, or carrying on with your daily activities.
- Pay attention to the way you carry your body throughout the day and make sure to keep changing positions while sitting and working to avoid neck and shoulder pain.
- Get lots of rest and take time off from activities that cause you pain.
- Use a neck pillow in case of minor pain to avoid the pain getting worse.
- Take frequent breaks to move around and stretch your neck and shoulders.
- Avoid tucking your phone between your neck and shoulder while on call to prevent straining.
- If you smoke, try to quit. Smoking tends to put you at greater risk for neck pain.
- Avoid straining your shoulders with heavy bags with straps.
- Sleep in a good position: your head and neck should ideally be aligned with your body and you should avoid using too many pillows.
- Schedule timely visits with your local chiropractic clinic to maintain health and prevent further pain.
When Should You See A Doctor?
If your pain persists for longer than a week, then it is imperative that you see a doctor or book an appointment with your local chiropractic clinic. In case of falls and injuries, you must seek medical attention immediately. If neck and shoulder mobility is compromised, you should see a doctor as soon as possible.
Why A Chiropractic Clinic is Your Best Friend!
Chiropractic clinics are essential in healing shoulder and neck pains, and a whole array of other body pains. Chiropractic treatment is holistic in nature and unlike OTC medications, it finds the root cause of the problem instead of just pacifying the symptoms alone. A visit to your local chiropractic clinic holds many benefits, which include but are not limited to:
- Prevention and Treatment of Pain
- Reduction of reliance on medication
- Finding the root cause of the pain and offering hand-on solutions
- Reduction of risk of pain in old age
- Affordable treatment
To know more about your body and its aches and pains, you can book an appointment at Amersham Chiropractic Clinic. We offer the best chiropractic services such as chiropractic adjustments, and even just helping you find the best pillow for your neck pain.